The Euclidean Club is for students in grades 6-8. 6th graders may participate in either Euclideans or Fibonaccians.
During each two hour meeting we will:
- Go over homework assignments
- Learn new mathematical concepts (Lessons taken from MathCounts materials and Competition Math for Middle Schoolers)
- Have a snack break/recess
- Participate in a contest or class tournament
- Play a math-related game
The Euclideans participate in five contests.
- Math Olympiads for Elementary and Middle Schools (MOEMS) – Division M. This is a five question contest with a time limit of 25-30 minutes.
- AMC-8 (November): This is the first of the series of American Mathematics Competitions. This is a 40 minute, 25 question multiple choice examination. In 2007, over 150,000 students in grades 8 and below took this exam.
- MathCounts Club and School Level: Over 500,000 students participate in the school level of MathCounts each year. The Club program includes monthly math challenges which are 5 question contests. After completing this, the students will complete the Ultimate Math Challenge. All Euclideans will also compete in the school level of the the competitive program.
- Math Kangaroo: This is an international competition held in March. Students complete 30 questions in 75 minutes. They are only competing against students in their grade level.
- Purple Comet Math Meet: This is an online team competition against teams from around the world. We can form six member teams. This contest will be held in April or May.
Students will also have the option of competing in the Chapter level of the MathCounts competition. We will choose a four member team to compete and up to six additional students are allowed to compete as individuals. Those who do well at the Chapter level will advance to the State MathCounts competition.
Meeting Time: Euclideans meet the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month from 12:30-2:30 p.m. This schedule will be modified as necessary for specific contest dates and holidays.
|August 14, 2014||Kickoff|
|August 28, 2014||Practice MOEMS||Seeing Patterns to Make Problems Easier|
|September 11, 2014||Practice AMC||Number Sense: Riddles with Remainders and Perfect Squares|
|September 25, 2014||Practice MathCounts Sprint||Rate Problems|
|October 9, 2014||Practice Team, Relays||Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences|
|October 23, 2014||Practice Power Round||Geometry: Circles and Right Triangles|
|Saturday, October 25, 2014||Rockdale Math Tournament|
|November 13, 2014||MOEMS 1||Relationships Between a Box’s Dimensions, Volume, and Surface Area|
|November 20, 2014Different Time & Location||AMC-8|
|December 11, 2014||MOEMS 2||Mean Problems|
|January 15, 2015||MOEMS 3||Patterns in a Whole Number Array|
|January 29, 2015||MathCounts School Round||Contest Only|
|February 12, 2015||MOEMS 4|
|February ??||MathCounts Chapter|
|February 26, 2015||Practice Math Kangaroo|
|March 12, 2015||MOEMS 5|
|March 19, 2015||Math Kangaroo|
|March 26, 2015|
|April 16, 2015|
|Saturday, April 18, 2015||GCTM State Middle School Math Tournament|
|April 30, 2015|
|May 14, 2015|
|May 21, 2015||Awards|